Information identified as archived is provided for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Notice to Canada Land Surveyors - Notice 2008-1
Amendments to the General Instructions for the Survey of Canada Lands, e-Edition
Chapter D1 - Official Surveys;
Chapter D5 - Registration and Land
Use Area Plans;
Chapter D15 - Survey Reports;
Appendix E1 -
Appendix E5 (new appendix) - Digital Spatial File
Coming in force: April 1, 2008 (* see note below)
I am pleased to enact, effective April 1, 2008, new General Instructions for these chapters above.
A copy of the new instructions are available at:
Registration and Land Use Area Plans:
Digital Spatial File Specifications*:
* Note: The digital spatial file specifications will not be in force before October 1, 2008. However, until the enactment of these standards, you are encouraged to use them on a voluntary basis.
These standards were developed through a consultative process with stakeholders, including the Association of Canada Lands Surveyors.
The main amendments in respect to chapters involve:
- Better adaptation with current land survey practices and their depiction on new specimen plans;
- Removal of standards related to the practice of the profession;
- Reducing the requirements for field notes;
- New geo-referencing requirements; and
- New specifications for submission of digital files included in survey returns.
Copy - original signed by
Surveyor General and Director,
Canada Center for Cadastral Management,
Natural Resources Canada